Last night, I got an email from Rob, the MC of Men Behaving Dadly, aka MBD. In a word or two, MBD is the best thing on this good Earth next to the invention of sliced bread, automatic flush toilets and fuzzy logic chip-controlled programmable rice cookers.
Picture this: once a month, a bunch of dudes meet up on a Saturday morning for a couple of hours with their toddlers in a massive, three-roomed, playground at Fulwood Church (did I mention that I live in Sunny Sheffield?) The aim of the meeting is various and multiple:
- Let the toddlers play on the wooden slide, exchange infections, chase each other for 2 hours, turn the whole place into an indescribable mess and learn how to brutally and/or cunningly defend their turn on the wooden horse without arousing the said dudes’ suspicion.
- Get something to eat for everyone involved, with unlimited amounts of tea or coffee, fruit juices for the little ones. Around 11am, one dad leaves to get the order of butties (any yanks out there: first food-related item listed on Wikipedia) for everyone present. Rob and I spent numerous months figuring out which one was the best on offer and ultimately agreed that tomato & bacon with a dab of HPC sauce was swell to the ultimate degree. (Anyone interested in joining, you get it for free on your first meet.)
- Spend two hours away from the wife’s nagging, so you can spend two hours chatting with your mates about football, rugby, cricket, cars, holidays, past girlfriends (occasionally), but mostly how to earn enough husband points to best avoid the wife’s nagging.
- Give the wife a well deserved rest from the madness, so she has the time and freedom to get a hairdo, a bath, and/or a facial, go shoe shopping, meet with her girlfriends, or do whatever takes her fancy.
- As a result of 4, collect even more husband points (see 3, above), in some kind of a double-whammy, snowball effect. I need to say here that, when I heard Rob say one day that MBD had been started by two women, I got confirmation of what I had known all along: MBD is a female conspiracy to get rid of the husband and kids, which my own wife is happy to admit and strictly enforce!
- Redeem husband points during the ‘MBD Socials’.
And that was the reason for his email. There is a social next week, on Tuesday. Socials involve: meeting at the pub for a pint (will one be enough to last 45 mins ?), then cross the road for a curry. I never managed to attend, as my job demand lots of travel, but this time, I’m in town, and I’m determined to attend.
Issue is: if it’s on Tuesday, I can’t imagine splitting my 5-2 into Monday: fast, Tuesday: beer + curry, Wednesday: fast, Thursday onwards: normal. To me, if I want maximum effect from my fast, the 2 need to be consecutive !
So, I’ll be entering my second week of 5-2 diet next week, and I already have to make compromises and move days around. I doubt my body will notice the difference, though. And on my third week, I will pause the 5-2 because of my crazy travel to North America. The fourth week will be the test of my determination, I guess.
All of this makes me think that, as Frenchman, food for me is a very social experience. This episode makes me realize that fasting is very personal and meditative, and does not fit very well with a social lifestyle.